My absolute favourite christmas cookies are cherry shortbreads. Its not christmas without having them at least once (or twice…or more than that). Truthfully, in the Howie house if the maraschino cherries even make it into a baked good then you know its going to be worth it (my mom and I eat them from the jar as a snack). These are all the ingredients you will need…making these cookies both simple & fairly cheap since its mostly baking stuff you might already have in your cupboard!
1 Cup Unsalted Butter
2 Cups Flour
1/2 Cup Icing Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
Maraschino Cherries (as many as you’d like!)
- Put on some festive tunes- I played my Son of A Nutcracker playlist on Spotfy. I’m pretty proud of it.
- Cut up as many maraschino cherries as you would like your cookies to have! I used one jar…because i’d like to make more cookies later with the second jar.
- Cream together butter & sugar. Add flour, vanilla & cherries. The mixture should be in a ball and quite wet- no crumbles!
- Lay out lots of flour to roll out your dough! Also, pre lay out some cling wrap or a tray. The cookies will have to be refrigerated before baking so you’ll need something to lay them on.
- Once all ready, put cookies in the fridge for about an hour. This is what makes the cookies more of a time investment. We could call them multi-tasking cookies instead… or go do your laundry for an hour cookies. Either way, you’ve got a free hour!
- Pop them in the oven at 365 for around 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them, these aren’t really set your timer and walk away cookies. They burn quick
And thats all! These cookies just feel so cozy to me at christmas time but they could be made anytime.
Hope you enjoy & have a wonderful end of year!